We arrive in the city of Famagusta with its many Gothic churches and surrounded by Venetian walls.
FAMAGUSTA – “the ghost city”
Choirokoitia-Salamis-St Barnabas-St. Nikolaos cathedral-Varosha (viewing point)
We start our excursion with a coffee break at Choirokoitia. Then we continue to Strovilia check point (passports
necessary) to cross the United Nations Green Line. Our first stop will be the monastery of Saint Barnabas, built
originally in the 5th century and now converted into a museum housing icons and archaeological artifacts. We will
also see the tomb of Saint Barnabas.
We continue to the ancient Kingdom of Salamis built in the 12 Century BC by the Greeks, where we will visit the
ancient theater and the gymnasium.
Our next stop is the city of Famagusta with its Gothic churches, which is surrounded by the Venetian walls. There
will be free time in the city to visit the Cathedral of Saint Nicolaos built in the year 1312 and converted in 1570 into
a mosque, as well as time for shopping and lunch (lunch not included in the price).
Before we depart for Paphos we will drive past the “Ghost City – Varosi” to see the ghost city, the abandoned
houses and hotels, closed behind wire since 1974, and admire the best sandy beaches of the island.
• Pick up from selected hotels
• Fully insured and air-conditioned coach
• Licensed C.T.O guide ( English, Russian)
• Professional Driver
• Entrance fees to Salamis & St. Barnabas included
• Please ensure that you are dressed appropriately for visits to monasteries.( No shorts or low cut blouses)
• Must be requested a minimum of 24 hours prior to scheduled departure